What is the best gites business structure in France?
My wife and I are buying a property in France and it includes four gites. It will be our primary residence and we have an expected yearly income from the gites of between 30,000 euros to 60,000 euros per year. We have other income from United States based investments, so this will not be our primary income source.
Our projected expenses during the first year may be up to 60,000 euros due to some extensive upgrades we’ll be making after this summer season is finished. Later years, the expenses will likely be around 10,000 euros to 15,000 euros per year, with the turnover increasing to roughly 55,000 euros to 75,000 euros per year. There’s also a chance we might run small day-tours, i.e. taking our guests to tourist locations for the day for a small amount of money.
We will not currently be serving food or selling drinks, but if we were to give drinks away, for example, free wine by the swimming pool for guests, do you we need any licenses? My wife and I will be operating the business together.
I know you aren’t necessarily an immigration expert, but currently we’re on long-term visitor visas. Of course, we’d likely need to get things sorted with immigration to change our status - but do you know anything about this? For example a work visa must be sponsored by an employer, but that doesn’t seem like this would be the same situation - since we would be our own employer.
My questions on gites business structure in France:
- Do you have a recommendation on the proper business structure in France? Our turnover in the first years will certainly be about 55,000 euros.
- Our initial startup expenses will be rather high, due to renovations, what is the best strategy for deducting these expenses?
- Can we have the business with a name or does it go under our names depending on the business structure?
- What specific taxes and social charges do you think we will need to file?
- Is an accountant able to file these taxes for us and ensure that everything is correct?
- Do you have any ideas about what the immigration changes will be necessary?