My Birth Certificate Is Problematic - What Should I Do?

· Viewed 101 times

Valerie has started the process of setting me up as a micro-entrepreneur. 

In order to respond to the letter I will get from the health cover people, at the Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie (CPAM), I will have to provide my birth certificate and passport.

My parents were not married so my father’s name does not appear on the birth certificate.  I was born outside Europe.  The birth certificate also has the wrong name on it. The person issuing it did not hear my first name properly and she wrote what she thought heard as opposed to what my father said to her.  No-one noticed.  Also, to make it worse, the last name given was that of my mother’s then current husband - who was not my father and who was nothing to do with me.

This was addressed later when my parents returned to England. They had my name changed by deed poll when I was 2 years old.  I have the official name change document.  Can I get away with only supplying my passport or, do I have to expose this whole sorry mess to the French authorities. I am concerned they will reject me based on these documents.

3 replies so far...
Log in About membership