Best legal entity to start b&b with view to becoming hotel restaurant and covering events.
I have found a chateau which I would like to develop into a business. I have not bought it yet. I am a UK citizen (without EU relatives although I believe my children may be entitled to an EU passport). The property is a chateau with outbuildings. At the moment is it home to the owners and they also run a gite. There are various dilapidated outbuildings.
I would like to - Immediate ambition:
- Be able to live there, but not all year
- Be able to continue with the gites
- Be able to use one or more of the existing houses as a long term rental
- Run a B&B offering food to guests
With a view to developing the enterprise to:
- Cater for events such as marriages
- Develop the B&B side into a hotel
- Develop the food side into a bar/ restaurant. It will use local ingredients but the cuisine will be more mediterranean than specifically French.
- Possibly develop some of the outbuildings into retail space as offices
- Possibly develop some of the outbuildings for use by local artisans.
My income is generated from UK property and this income stream will continue. I will use the income from the chateau enterprise to reinvest. The chateau will not be encumbered by a mortgage.
Can you please advise the best legal entity for purchasing the chateau in the first instance and whether I should set up as a chamber d’hote in the first instance and change the legal structure later if and when I am successful, or not. I appreciate this is a huge topic so if you have written any articles/ books that you can point me to I will be happy to go to these.
Thank you so much,